Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Kitsunes of Darkwana

I described, last week, a few of the creatures that you will encounter in my novel series, Diaries of Darkwana and how those creatures relate to Japanese mythology.
I will, today, describe the most prevalent creatures you will find in my series. Folklore calls these creatures “kitsune,” but many versions of these creatures exist in many different mythologies across much of Asia.
I, armed with a creative license, picked and chose amongst those mythological factors want I wished to incorporate into my novels.
Let’s start with the word, “kitsune.” A person ought to spell it the same single as plural. I found this confused some readers, so I added an “s” whenever I made the word plural.
Mythology often pictures kitsunes as half-human half-fox. I create the female kitsunes in my series as full-blown anthropomorphic foxes, while the males exist as half-breeds—humans with fox tails and ears.
Kitsunes in my series may mate with humans, kitsunes, or kitsune-human half-breeds.
Male offspring arrive, with one exception (Mordechai), as either human or half-breed.
Female children (with the exception of Rebecca) arrive as either full breed kitsunes or full breed humans.
Female full breeds, consequently, prove more powerful than their half-breed counterparts. This creates a power shift in gender roles. Titles, as a result, possess a feminine ring, regardless of the person who holds that title (more on those titles in a future post).
Most folklore depicts kitsunes as shape-shifters. Some stories suggest that kitsunes could only switch from the form of a regular fox to that of a person with fox traits, such as fox ears and tails.
Many stories portray kitsune as giant, multi-tailed, fox-shaped demons.
Diaries of Darkwana offers only a few shape-shifters, and the effects of two of them prove limited.
York can transform only from her usual form to a larger, beastier body (and back again, of course).
Yuki Onna can transform her body from flesh and fur to other substances, such as diamonds, provided that she touches a sample of such a substance during her transformation.
Buthaynah stands as the only true shape-shifter, which seems strange given her frankness and inflexible personality. She can turn into anything and anyone—but she cannot change her tail, which must remain unchanged for reasons I’ll explain in a bit.
Buthaynah exists as a purple-furred, brown-eyed kitsune who drinks Scotch, smokes fat cigars, gambles, and insults her opponents with phrases such as, “twat waffle,” “ass-hat,” and “dick mitt. Her vocabulary stands at odds with that of her clansmen, many of who speak regally.
Buthaynah also exists as my favorite character from my series. I often feel as if I exercise little control over her. With Buthaynah, I serve as a reporter, not an author.
In Japanese mythology, a kitsune can grow up to nine tails. She or he grows more powerful with each tail.
I use this in my novels. The kitsunes of Darkwana frequently gain new tails throughout the series. Whenever a kitsune evolves a new tail, she or he also evolves new, supernatural abilities. My kitsunes cap out at nine tails.
I manage to incorporate this also in my upcoming card game (Duelists of Darkwana), which I based upon my novels.
Since tails serve as the source of their owner’s magic (called “fox fire”), Buthaynah cannot shape-shift her own, lest she lose her ability to change back into her normal form.
Many kitsune clans live in Diaries of Darkwana. Each possesses a unique headquarters, history, family crest, specialties, and customs.
The Inari Clan stands as the most prestigious, but all clans (with the exception of two) hold membership with the C.K.C. (Council of Kitsune Clans).
These separate clans and their customs serve as the subject of next week’s post.
See you then!

I publish my blogs as follows:
Mondays and Thursdays: Short stories at martinwolt.blogspot.com
Tuesdays: A look at the politics of the entertainment world at EntertainmentMicroscope.blogspot.com.
Wednesdays: An inside look at my novels (such as Daughters of Darkwana, which you can now find on Kindle) at Darkwana.blogspot.com
Fridays: Tips to improve your fiction at FictionFormula.blogspot.com
Sundays: Movie reviews at moviesmartinwolt.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment